Sunday 3 March 2013

Assignment 2 - Photo Montage


burton from Andrew Kirstine on Vimeo.


For my Photo Montage I did a short story about a frog. I thought it would be interesting to do the film with toys as opposed to people, as I’ve never done something like that before. The film begins with the frog, named Burton, waking up after a long night of partying and having a morning cigarette. A common motif I use in the film is interchanging two shots of Burton and another object or character, moving closer and closer while switching between the two. I believe this technique allows me to show, albeit vaguely, that there would be certain actions between the two shots in question; when Burton thinks of the beer can, he goes to the tavern to get another drink. When he arrives, a couple comprised of a Mr. Potato Head and a small doll exit, and the motif appears again; this time, Burton brutally murders the Potato Head and goes with the doll back to his place. The last time it occurs is between Burton and the doll, before they sleep together. 

I was inspired to do this movie after watching Toy Story, and I thought it would be fun to have to construct my own sets and props using everyday objects as opposed to trying to find a perfect setting in the real world. I came up with the darker message after finding the toy I used for Burton, which I thought had a smile that could pass for something scary. I used the insides and outsides of shoeboxes for the buildings; a small box and a piece of felt for a bed; and sriracha sauce as mock blood. I found all the characters in the film at the dollar store. The song I used was Slippery Elm Tree by Len and Joe Higgins, which I acquired through archive.org. I used the song to make the video seem more lighthearted, even though it ends with Burton committing multiple crimes to appease his appetite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment